Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Post 2- Foreshadowing

The reason why I picked foreshadowing is because in my personal opinion, authors can either completely hit the mark on this or completely miss it entirely. It is more obvious in books like Their Eyes Were Watching God(when Janie foreshadows the future events with TeaCake) - which to be honest annoys me and is why I prefer less obvious foreshadowing. When it's overly obvious, I as a reader feel that I tend to try to figure out the story too much, or that I feel that I can just tell what's going to happen in a story, which makes it super dull and not fun to read. My favorite example of this is in the movie 'We Bought A Zoo'- SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- In the movie, the zookeeper Kelly asks Benjamin why he'd buy a torn down zoo and spend his life savings on it. He replies with a simple 'why not?'. Then at the end of the movie when Benjamin tells Dylan and Rosie about how he and his late wife met, he tells the story of how he met her in a cafe and he basically asked her why would a woman like her want to go out with a man like him and she replies 'why not?'- this phrase is used in both situations when Benjamin is taking a risk, but the audience doesn't know about this until the very end, and most people may not understand this subtle foreshadowing without a second viewing. My favorite way to remember foreshadowing is 'to shadow before'- it may not be a visual, but it's the way I have always remembered this helpful hint as to how an author hints at us, the readers. Overall, when used properly, I find that foreshadowing is a cool technique authors can use to help tie-in parts of a story towards the end and make it easier for the reader to understand the plot of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment