Sunday, February 26, 2012

Journal #6- Their Eyes Were Watching God Pastiche Writing Process

I have now written the 3rd draft of my pastiche. The first one was just the main story, but then the 2nd draft was a complete re-write. At first, I just had the main character Jenna have three guys in her life that represented Logan, Jody and Tea Cake. However, then I decided that it was too similar to the story. I changed Janie's Grandma's wish to be married into Jenna's parents' wish for her to become a lawyer, then she becomes and attorney and wants a new career, so she becomes the local weather girl in Boston. Then finally, instead of marrying another man, she runs off with a lesbian friend (but they aren't a couple, although their friendship is just as scandalous) off to Greenwich Village in Manhattan. In my original draft, she was just going to run off with a man, but that's too blah and wasn't really as out there, and I really wanted to parallel with Hurston in the fact that the idea of running away w/ a Tea Cake character is suppose to be outrageous and unconventional.

One thing I still struggle with is dialect. My 3rd draft was mainly about dialect, and making sure that certain words and sounds were spelled the same way.

I am still struggling with dialect rules and length. The dialect rules take up over half a page and I am thinking of possibly joining the lawyer and weather girl aspect into one career, henceforth making it shorter, which is kind of what I need right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment