Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Journal #8- Their Eyes Were Watching God

#1: I think the book is titled Their Eyes Were Watching God to show a very major and important theme in the novel about power. You see, in many cases there is always authority over people within the book. How people try to overcome and control others. But when the storm is approaching over the muck, their eyes were watching God because they have no control over their life anymore. This changes the way I see the book because it helps me as a reader recognize the central thematic element of power and how prevalent it is within the novel.
#2: An alternate title I'd give to the book would be The Eyes Overlooking All. This is because the book references God many times and is looking over the people, and that the people feel like they can have a taste of this power as well. This could also help show the perspective of God versus just the perspective of how the oppressed feel.
#3: My pastiche is titled "Time Was Running Out ". This is because the message about Time is prevalent in my piece and how it runs out during our lives, along with themes of power. Time in my pastiche works more like death in TEWWG. I feel this is the strongest because the end is about having time running out and my Janie-like character being the master of her own destiny- she realizes this at the end, and she comes to that revelation by understanding the time is running out for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment